Friday 13 April 2012

Viewer or Voyeur? The morality of reportage photography

Third post on My Course, looking at the moral ethics of Photography. 

Don McCullin 
Farah Abdi Warsameh's Stoned to Death, Somalia, 13 December
http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2010/mar/08/world-press-photo-sean-ohagan
http://www.iwm.org.uk/exhibitions/shaped-by-war-photographs-by-don-mccullin

My Response 
Photography can be any where at any time, allowing us to see the world for many different things from beauty to blood shed, but when do you stop and decide what should or should not be photographed or seen. 
Personal the Guardian article did not shock me as much as I thought it would, having watched the news form an early age and being exposed to such images and truths of humanity I became some what desensitised to the idea of the death and killing. However this does not mean that I did not find such an image up setting. 
The work of Don McCullin is not as shocking, the images might show war but they do not show too much of the harshness of war. Such as blood and direct death. 
Over all I feel that over the past few years the world has become harder, the images that McCullin produced, the the time would have shocked and upset. Where as now we need to see the worst of the war to be shocked, However even now this is hard with the amount of death that we are exposed to. Not just through the News but in film, Tv and Video Games.  

This image was found on Tumblr of an ex-soldier who lost both his legs, this image is as far as I understand it is an re-enactment of when he lost his legs. However when I first saw this image I have to say that I was more shocked then seeing Warsameh's image. 
The reason for this is that, in Warsameh's image we know that the man is dead from the body langue of the others and the man that is deceased. What makes this image shocking this that the soldier seams un-fazed  that he has lost both his legs, he is calm smoking his cigarette and looking directly at us. In some ways it make this image very intense to look at, we almost feel that we should not be looking at him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment